unable to launch app due to "cannot open shared object file"

stan stanl at cox.net
Sun May 20 00:02:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007 16:56:56 -0500
Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:

> $ openmovieeditor: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgavl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> [1]+  Exit 127                openmovieeditor
>
> I then ran:
> $ locate libgavl.so
> /home/tom/temp/gavl-0.2.5/gavl/.libs/libgavl.so
> /home/tom/temp/gavl-0.2.5/gavl/.libs/libgavl.so.0
> /home/tom/temp/gavl-0.2.5/gavl/.libs/libgavl.so.0.0.0
> /usr/local/lib/libgavl.so
> /usr/local/lib/libgavl.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libgavl.so.0.0.0
>
> I then brought up /etc/ld.so.conf and added
> "include /usr/local/lib/", then I ran command: ldconfig
> but no go.  Any solutions?
> Tom

This might be a long shot, but I'm thinking that it is a dependency
that libgavi.so.0 needs that is causing the problem.  i.e. it is trying
to call another library and it isn't there.  Not sure how you would
verify that, unless it is in the logs somewhere, or you install the
libgavi-devel package so you can then run gdb on the process to find
out where it is failing.