ntpd error

Lux Zhang yuanlux at gmail.com
Sun May 20 01:40:08 UTC 2007

On 20/05/07, Terry Polzin <foxec208 at wowway.com> wrote:

> On Saturday May 19 2007, Lux Zhang wrote:
> > Hi
> > I tried to used ntpd to sync time, but always got a failure error:
> >
> > [root at home]# /sbin/service ntpd restart
> > Shutting down ntpd:                                        [  OK  ]
> > ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [FAILED]
> > Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]
> >
> > how to fix this?
> >

> > the conf file reads as
> >
> > # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not
> > # permit the source to query or modify the service on this system.
> > restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
> >
> > # Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
> > # be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
> > # the administrative functions.
> > restrict 127.0.0.1
> >
> > # Hosts on local network are less restricted.
> > #restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
> >
> > # Use public servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
> > # Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
> > server 0.pool.ntp.org
> > server 1.pool.ntp.org
> > server 2.pool.ntp.org
> > server asia.pool.ntp.org
> > server 0.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> > server 1.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> > server 2.fedora.pool.ntp.org
> >
> > #broadcast 192.168.1.255 key 42         # broadcast server
> > #broadcastclient                        # broadcast client
> > #broadcast 224.0.1.1 key 42             # multicast server
> > #multicastclient 224.0.1.1              # multicast client
> > #manycastserver 239.255.254.254         # manycast server
> > #manycastclient 239.255.254.254 key 42  # manycast client
> >
> > # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
> > # and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
> > fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
> >
> > # Drift file.  Put this in a directory which the daemon can write to.
> > # No symbolic links allowed, either, since the daemon updates the file
> > # by creating a temporary in the same directory and then rename()'ing
> > # it to the file.
> > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> >
> > # Key file containing the keys and key identifiers used when operating
> > # with symmetric key cryptography.
> > keys /etc/ntp/keys
> >
> > # Specify the key identifiers which are trusted.
> > #trustedkey 4 8 42
> >
> > # Specify the key identifier to use with the ntpdc utility.
> > #requestkey 8
> >
> > # Specify the key identifier to use with the ntpq utility.
> > #controlkey 8
> > server 127.127.1.0
> > restrict 0.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> > restrict 1.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> > restrict 2.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> > restrict asia.pool.ntp.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
> Have you got a network connection?
> [...]

I found out the ntpd servers are not found. using
[root@]# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -q 0.fedora.pool.ntp.org
server 1.0.0.0, stratum 0, offset 0.000000, delay 0.00000
20 May 11:38:18 ntpdate[4922]: no server suitable for synchronization found

It may be due to either the server is not up or my ISP can't look up the ip
of the server