Drafting software?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:17:23 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:47:39 -0400
> Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 20 May 2007 10:03:53 am Brian wrote:
> > > I'm looking for CAD/drafting software to help me create blue prints for
> > > some home construction projects (building a shed, bathroom remodel,
> > > basement finishing). The easier to use, the better.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Brian:
> > Take a look at qcad. It's a standard Fedora package that does 2D drafting.
> You
> > can learn more about qcad at their website:
> > http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
>
> I had real problems with qcad and trying to exchange files with people
> using tools it claims to write files for. It's an ok tool (little bugy in
> my experience) and ok providing you don't need to interwork with anyone
> else using tools like autocad.

Having used Autocad products for many years, I can understand that as
Autodesk products have issue interworking among themselves.

For 3D part files, usually STEP format is the way to go.
For 2D drawings, usually just exporting a PDF is good since you are
usually looking for comments rather than direct changes.

/Mike