telnet from romote pc to adsl server

Lux Zhang yuanlux at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:23:21 UTC 2007

On 21/05/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 19:51 +1000, Lux Zhang wrote:
> > I need telnet to access adsl server.
>
> Really bad idea.  Telnet is a really insecure protocol.  If you can use
> ssh, use it, instead.

I have no choice, the modem can only handle telnet

> telnet server setup is right. telnet to that serevr within internal
> > networked PC is ok. but when to access it from a remote PC, it shows
> > following error, try google around  but can't find a clue. hope some
> > one can offer help?
> >
> > getnameinfo: localhost: Success
> > Temporary failure in name resolution: Illegal seek
>
> Well, "localhost" always refers to the machine that you're already on.
> Every machine sees itself as "localhost".  You need a unique name, or
> address, to connect to a remote machine.

I walked around and fixed this problem.

But  with remote  telnet I got this

[zhang at tring ~]$ telnet 79.15.54.181  7777
Trying 79.15.54.181...
telnet: connect to address 79.15.54.181: Connection timed out

In fact the server did show any response

You need to pass the port that you're using (whether for telnet or ssh)