Minimalist Installs (was Checkbox for "Install Everything")

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon May 21 13:12:27 UTC 2007

At 08:53 AM 5/21/2007, Mauriat M wrote:

<EP>>>>> For the record... Starting off with some minimum default
installation, and then adding stuff later, doesn't necessarily work all
that well either.<<<<<

<MM>>>>>You are using a test release to base that conclusion.<<<<<

Good morning, Mauriat.

Well, not really ... I have experienced that behavior before, but not since
about FC2 or FC3 ... it's one of several reasons I have defaulted to
installing everything in the initial install, then shutting off things I
don't want / need.

<MM>>>>>>This is the default setting in Fedora's installer. It is not new.<<<<<

Yes, I know.  I was just using that to emphasize the point that I didn't
select ANYTHING that wasn't presented as the initial default for the install.

<MM>>>>>>Perhaps you did not search for the right thing:<<<<<

No doubt.  I searched on the keywords I could think of ... one of which, by
the way, was "kde-settings-kdm" and I got no hits (though I suppose it's
possible I spelled it wrong).  Anyway, clearly I didn't think of the right
ones.  No big surprise there.

<MM>>>>>I am not sure why people have a difficult time accepting that
Redhat (hence Fedora) have a vested interest in Gnome. It has always been
that way.<<<<<

<shrug> I don't have an especially "difficult time accepting (it)".  It is
what it is and it's easy to work around.  It's a very minor issue, so far
down into the noise that I don't even think about it most of the
time.  When I do think of it it's more in the form of idle curiosity than
anything else.

One of these days when I get bored I'll do a Google search on "Gnome vs
KDE" and see if I can find any kind of a survey on how many use one vs the
other.  That will be interesting.

Eric Poole
Burgoyne, Nolet & Poole, Inc.
www.bnpconsulting.com