Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:35:59 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Sebastian Gurovich <sebas0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do the Ubuntu people get around this problem of conflicts with the
> install everything button option?

It doesn't have package selection at install time at all, AFAIK. So no
options at all = no debates over what optional buttons to have.

> I understand they have just an
> extended amount of packages if not more, is this correct?

They have access to the vast Debian universe but their
"Ubuntu-approved" selection is smaller. They are certainly not immune
to updating/dependancy problems as, just a few days ago, updating
metacity hoarked my compiz with the standard no-packages-added
install.

> One more thing? How are they able to include proprietary software?

They don't ... it is offered as a automatic update when you run into a
codec you can't play. They trade one freedom (redistributability) for
another (playing you proprietary media)