FC6 sound gone

stan stanl at cox.net
Mon May 21 20:42:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:25:46 +0200
"Christian Menzel" <christian.menzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/21/07, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jeez, what kind of soundcard is it? IRQ conflict might not be out
> > of the question. If you're still desperate, jerk more cards out to
> > see if that resolves a possible conflict. What kind of mo-board and
> > processor, how much ram?  I assume you have checked the mixer, got
> > the speakers plugged in,? Plugged into the "speaker out" and not
> > the "mike"? (I've done that!) They are turned on and the volume
> > about halfway up.
> >
> > If it's a good ole ISA SoundBlaster AWE64, they have mentioned that
> > support has been dropped and it takes a bit of wrangling to get one
> > to work. Ric
> >

> It's a PCI soundblaster which was working for month without any
> problems. When I boot a live system from DVD sound is working.
> I think it stopped working when I tried to use Audacity to capture
> from lineIn.
>
> There must be a master mixer or something that thinks the card is
> muted. Even if I boot into runlevel 3 and try auplay as root, I hear
> nothing.
>
> Waiting for FC7...
> Chris

You can check what audacity thinks is the card it is using by going
into edit:preferences.  There is a selection drop down for play and
record separately.  Then from a console or terminal type aplay -lLv to
see what devices alsa has defined as aliases.  Once you know that try
aplay -D one of the devices some.wav.  Make sure that the speaker out
is plugged into the correct jack.  The aplay -lLv should also give you
the hardware devices.  if aplay -D some device alias doesn't work, try
aplay -D hwplug:0,0 some.wav, or whichever devices alsa has assigned.

My past experience indicates that alsa keeps some internal state
information that can wreak havoc while having problems.  And did you
remove any .asoundrc in ~/home or asound.state or asound.conf in /etc
before you removed the card and plugged it back in?  That could cause
problems also.

If none of this works, ask on the alsa-devel list.  They will want a
lot of information before they can help you, but they are very
knowledgeable about sound issues.