Minimalist Installs (was Checkbox for "Install Everything")

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon May 21 21:03:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 08:53:07 -0400
"Mauriat M" <mirandam at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For the record... Starting off with some minimum default installation, and
> > then adding stuff later, doesn't necessarily work all that well either.
>
> You are using a test release to base that conclusion. The behavior in
> beta software does not necessarily represent how the final product
> will be.

Actually, here's a thing I wonder about in connection with this:

If I run the Add/Remove software app pointing to the network repos
and/or mirrors, I get useful "package groups" where I can select
or browse, etc.

If I make a .repo file that points to the mounted DVD image, I can see
the individual rpms, but I get no package groups to categorize
things for me, yet when I was installing off the exact same media
in anaconda, I did get package groups.

This behavior is another problem with doing a minimal install, then
going back and adding things, since the adding things part only works
well if you add them from the network (which might be a problem
with slow or no network access).

Is there some way I can't figure out to make a repo from the DVD
that will actually work and know about the package groupings?