OT? power reqs of DDR2 chips

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200705 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 06:16:02 UTC 2007

Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> writes:
> So the setup I envisage is a pair of SATA drives in Raid 0, to get
> better access speed, and a single matching SATA outside the RAID
> array as the nightly backup device. I plan to use a signalling
> UPS. So a worst case occurs when there is a power failure - the UPS
> signals the gadget which immediately starts to save all the work in
> progress. I think this will exercise the RAM pretty briskly and at
> that particular point I want to make sure there is enough power
> supply, hence the question.

In that case I don't understand why you are bothering with the dram's
power.  Just about everything else in the system is a more significant
drain.  And no, your disks, even when streaming aren't going to be
*anywhere* near dram throughput speeds.  You do realize disks are
still limited to ~70Mbytes/sec when writing contiguous sectors?  Under
real FS conditions you'd be lucky to see half of that.  Dram will be
in the low to mid single-digit gigabyte/sec range.

If I were you I'd buy a power meter, measure the actual power and then
get yourself a UPS scaled accordingly.  Remember Volt-Amps as defined
by the UPS folks is approx. 0.6 watts.  Even at that, they only really
want you to run it at half load.  For a measured load of 200watts I'd
get an 800volt-amp unit.

OB Fedora: The APC Back-UPS RS-1500 usb connected UPS is detected just
fine and with apcupsd even shuts the computer down cleanly after a
power failure.

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html