Help with Samba

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue May 22 19:11:13 UTC 2007

"Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:

>     The problem I'm having is that I can't write anything inside any of
> the user folders that's within /ftpusers from the windows box.  My guess
> is because the WniBox accesses it as a guest user, where the folder are
> owned by real users.  I need to be able to do this so we can place files
> for our clients into their respective folders (from within our network -
> hence the convoluted way of doing things.)
Some questions:

How are you logging in on the Windows box?

Is that login also in /etc/smbpasswd on Server 2 or does Server 2
authenticate users some other way?  If not your login gets mapped to Guest.

Does that login correspond to the user who owns the files and
directories on Server 1?  Even if your Windows login is recognized on
Server 2, Server 1 wants access to be restricted to the user who owns
the files in its /etc/passwd or however it authenticates users.

Server 2 is going to restrict access to users it knows about unless you
open up permissions which is a bad idea.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce