KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 08:09:33 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Andy Green wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> Thanks very much for your help (and everyone else).
> >>
> >> I now have my system running with kmail + dovecot using maildir format.
> >>
> >> The setup is rather confused at present,
> >> eg I apparently have two inbox folders, Local Folders/inbox and
> >> IMAP/inbox, whose contents differ slightly but which seem to converge
> >> after a time.
> >
> > That sounds as though you set KMail to use dimap.  I've never used it,
> > but I presume that mail from your imap inbox is copied across from time
> > to time.
> >
> >> Also the folders on my desktop and laptop are different.
> >
> > They shouldn't be, except for local folders.
>
> Heigh ho is it possible Timothy is using the IMAP server's store dir as
> his "Local folders", so he sees everything twice, once via IMAP in
> IMAP/inbox and once via directly looking at the IMAP store files as
> "Local folders"?

I doubt it.  At least, unless he is actually viewing it on the server.  I'm
not sure why it happened, but when I first set up imap I did see them like
that on the server.  Perhaps it was something to do with the format
conversion, though I can't explain it.  Later I did a fresh OS install and
set it up again, copying the imap folders across.  Now the server display
looks very much like the client box.

This brings to mind the caveat that if this is indeed the case, he should
generally work in the imap folder section and ignor the local section.

Come to think of it, he never said whether he is viewing on the server.  Maybe
he has the one workstation and one laptop.  If that's so, it would be
interesting to know if the laptop display also seems to show all the mail in
the local inbox.

Anne