Evolution crashed, won't restart (FIXED, if not exactly solved...)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed May 23 11:35:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:44:48 -0400 (EDT)
> Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu> wrote:
>
>> Is there a lock file someplace that needs to be deleted?  Or something
>> else?  Is ./.gconfd/saved_state the key, and if so, how can it be safely
>> repaired?  Can I repair it without losing data?
>
> Anything in /tmp ?
>
> I had the same problem just yesterday with Sylpheed; it crashed for no
> apparent reason (first time I've seen that) and wouldn't load again
> until I deleted a file named sylpheed-something-or-other in /tmp

There is a socket in /tmp for evolution.  I deleted it but still wasn't
able to restart evo.  I logged out, deleted everything in /tmp, and
restarted.  After that, it did finally start after I walked away for a
while.  I'm not sure if it's the removal of the tmp files or just the wait
that did it though.

It seems that the hang on start happens when I try to use the Exchange
global address book.  More research needed, then I'll be back with some
other issues...

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences