webcams, again

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 18:31:58 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:

> and then I see the following in lsmod:
>
> lsmod
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> gspca                 643792  0
> videodev               29633  1 gspca
> v4l2_common            26945  1 videodev
> v4l1_compat            16581  1 videodev
> radeon                116065  2
> drm                    78421  3 radeon
>
> I still don't see a /dev/video   but this appears to be a step forward
> anyway.

It is.  Once your webcam is recognised the v4l packages will create video0.  I
do wonder, though, whether you are trying to load the correct driver.  I say
this because it's far from unknown for a model to change chipset part way
through its life.  Have you tried a fair bit of googling, to see if others
are using the gspcav driver and/or another one?

Anne