How to update Windows DNS server with Linux DHCP client hostname?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 24 03:55:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 08:54 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> He's willing to configure his DHCP server to do the dynamic update,
> which is what he has to do for Win98 clients (do we really have those?
> Well, that's what he said he does for Win98 clients, but I digress.)
>
> I have now officially reached the point of, "I just want to understand
> what's going on, why it's not working, and to fix what's broke."

I haven't run DNS+DHCP where Windows was the server, mine's the other
way around.  Perhaps you should post your /etc/dhclient-*.conf script.

A client can send and request various information, much of what's
possible is optional.  Some of it contrary (e.g. with Windows, I found
ticking the register with DNS option caused it to not attempt to do,
unticking caused it to do so).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.