I love IP Tables.... (really passwords)

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sat May 26 14:59:11 UTC 2007

El Sábado, 26 de Mayo de 2007 16:25, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht escribió:
> Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> writes:
> > I'd like to know what threats exits for ssh - are there webpages that
> > discuss this? I *thought* that using an arbitrary port and putting
> > 'AllowUsers ...' into sshd_config would handle these things (along
> > with a password other than 'abcd' :)   ).
>
> The problem with passwords is that you have to trust all your users to
> pick good ones that aren't in any attacker's dictionary.  The only
> somewhat safe passwords are the ones that are computer generated
> random numbers/letters/symbols.  All the others that are easy to
> remember for users are potential candidates for someone to put into a
> dictionary of passwords to try.  You are in effect betting that your
> passwords all aren't in any attacker's dictionary yet.

If you want to keep all your systems and users password under control, and
this mean, to know when some user choose a weak or a password which matchs a
dictionary word, you might want to take a look at Babel Enterprise
http://babel.sf.net
it's quite useful for all those administrators who wanna to keep all the
system security in just one webpage (a webconsole, basically)

Cheers
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.