artsmessage

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat May 26 15:28:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007 09:57, Dragos Ungureanu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I encountered the following message on my FC5:
>
> "Informational - artsmessage
> Sound server informational messsage:
> Error while initializing the sound driver
> device: default can't be opened for capture (No such file or directory)
> The sound server will continue using the null output device"
>
> I didn't change anything, the message just showed up in KDE when I started
> the computer.
> Below are the outputs of lsmod and dmesg.
> Please advice how can I get rid of this and restore the sound. Thank you in
> advance
>
> Regards,
> Dragos

It's not the first time that I've had that, but was because my usb midi
keyboard which uses snd-usb-audio was being detected as a sound card, and
being set as card0. That particular problem has been fixed on FC5, but was a
fixable problem on earlier FC versions.

What do you see if you run, cat /proc/asound/cards

Also. Have you had any kernel updates? Have you tried booting with earlier
kernels to check out if it might be a kernel related problem?

Also, and I'm not sure if it is on FC5, or FC6, but the volume control on KDE
was showing grey with a line through it, and opening the volume control,
showed the green enabled light not illuminated. Clicking on that got the
sounds going. As I say, it may be on FC6 though.

Nigel.