network profiles - do they work for you? they are broken for me!

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon May 28 13:42:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> Ok... as I see it this problem is not new. Is anybody doing some
> active work to make system-config-network better? Or is it abandoned
> and some new tool is on the rise?

I doubt it's abandoned, so check for your bug in Bugzilla, and if it's not
there, file it.

But for many purposes where profiles would work, NetworkManager works
better.  Have you tried it?  Does it not work for you for some reason?

Note that NetworkManager is *not* the same as the Network Monitor applet
your videos showed in your reply to my earlier question.

# service NetworkManager start

In GNOME, you should see a new icon in your notification area.  Click it
and see if you find some helpful actions.  There's a brief description in
/usr/share/doc/NetworkManager-0.6.4/README.

If you want it to start at boot,

# chkconfig NetworkManager on

--
 		Matthew Saltzman