Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem (NVidia and blank screen during install.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 28 13:44:57 UTC 2007

V at ly wrote:
> hello! i've one day of my life downloading your FC6 DVD image. i've
> burnt it and checked it for errors. it was ok so i "started" setup. you
> might wonder why the "" around started... well the graphical setup just
> wouldn't start.
> after the blue setup screen, at the part where it says "running
> anaconda....." when it tries to detect my video card it only detects the
> manufacturer which is nVidia but not the actual card which is a GeForce
> 6200 A-LE. the screen goes black and nothing happens. please include the
> appropriate drivers for my video card in fedora 7. i really need a good
> opensource release because i don't have the money to buy a MS OS.
> i hope you'll fix this problem.
>
> --
>  >>> V at ly <<<

Probably the card is too recent to have successful Open Source support
for the driver. NVidia does not release specifications and/or source
code to allow decent support for their products.

You probably could install the system using the vesa driver (Generic
support for video) using
linux xdriver=vesa
until you get your system installed. After the initial installation, you
might grab the NVidia binaries packaged up by one of the repos that has
the driver. You should also be able to get this from NVidia.

There is much to find related getting a NVidia video system up and
running in Linux. The most successful seem to be with using the closed
source binaries.

Jim

--
When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.