Hotmounting eSATA drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 28 17:59:51 UTC 2007

Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> I have an external SATA drive that's usually powered off. It has two
> ext3 partitions, FWIW. I find that mount does not recognize the devices
> (/dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2) unless the drive is powered on before booting.
>
> I expect that this is something that HAL should attend to. Any
> suggestions as to what's wrong? HAL works fine with other hot mounted
> devices.

Udev is responsible to create the /dev entries for the drive. You
could have HAL mount the partitions once udev is done. I don't know
if the SATA drivers are set up for it, but you can try doing a
rescan of the SCSI bus. (SATA is handled as SCSI.) There is an old
script - http://www.linux1394.org/scripts/rescan-scsi-bus.sh that
may do the trick.

Mikkel