recent upgrade caused me problems

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon May 28 20:23:24 UTC 2007

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>

| "rpm --verify" seems to be somewhat confounded by prelinking.  I don't
| understand how, but I get a shower of messages like this:
| prelink: /usr/lib64/evolution/2.8/libeutil.so.0.0.0: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
| S.?.....   /usr/lib64/evolution/2.8/libeutil.so.0.0.0
|
| ==> something should be done to allow verify to work better with prelink.
|     Something better than just ignoring files that are subject to prelink.

I've since found out that many of these messages go away once
prelinking is run again.  By default, prelinking is run once a day via
the script in /etc/cron.daily/prelink

Apparently the script isn't perfect.  After a recent upgrade, and a
subsequent running of that script, several files still generate that
warning:

prelink: /usr/lib64/libcairojava-1.0.so: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/lib64/libgnomejava-2.12.so: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /lib64/libsemanage.so.1: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/lib64/libgtkjava-2.8.so: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/lib64/libglibjava-0.2.so: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/lib64/libgladejava-2.12.so: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since prelinking

I even tried touching /var/lib/rpm/Packages and then running the script manually.

==> the script /etc/cron.daily/prelink does not always perform required all prelinking

==> it would be good if the message indicated which dependencies were changed since prelinking