Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon May 28 21:18:11 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 21:33:22 Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > >
> > > Nvidia supplies the driver, shouldn't they also supply the support
> > > for it? After all, Nvidia is getting profit for selling the
> > > hardware. They are also the people that know what is in the driver.
> > > Why should someone else be expected to provide support if Nvadia
> > > isn't willing to provide the source for their driver, or at least
> > > the information needed so someone else can create an open source driver?
> >
> > Per the original poster, it isn't Nvidia's driver that is broken, it is
> > the one included in the distribution.
> >
> > Supplying, or at least documenting the procedure to get the working
> > version isn't about 'supporting' Nvidia, it is about supporting fedora
> > users and providing something that works for them.  It seems odd for
> > that to be such a controversial topic.
> >
> The linux compatibility list says that the nv driver works for the card in
> question.  Tested on Debian, IIRC.
>
> Anne

The problem may not have anything to do with the driver for the
graphics adapter. A few of my systems have embedded graphics adapters.
Numerous distributions(including Fedora) have choked on the disabled
embedded adapter. When that happens I resort to text mode install and
run system-config-display or it's equivalent post install.