installing with a video card overriding built-in video [was Re: Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon May 28 21:54:22 UTC 2007

| From: Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com>

| The problem may not have anything to do with the driver for the
| graphics adapter. A few of my systems have embedded graphics adapters.
| Numerous distributions(including Fedora) have choked on the disabled
| embedded adapter. When that happens I resort to text mode install and
| run system-config-display or it's equivalent post install.

I've certainly run into this problem.  With Fedora and Ubuntu.  It is
an xorg problem.  I haven't gotten to the bottom of it but I do know
that the xorg.conf ebds up with the PCI address of the built-in video
interface not the add-in card.

I've noticed this on my Dell GX115 boxes when I add in ATI or nVidia
PCI video cards.  The quick workaround is to install without the card and
then add it in later.  But have sshd running so you can perform
surgery on xorg.conf from another machine.  If I remember correctly,
just removing the bogus BusID line fixes the problem.

Does anyone know if this is in the xorg bugzilla?