Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 29 02:36:23 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

> This part (from the above link) would appear to be a problem:
>
> "2.1.2 Linux/FreeBSD Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of
> Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
> FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
> source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
> provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
> (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
>
> Unless they've changed how *they* install it, it used to mangle OS files
> in a harmful manner (yes, *I* *have* been bitten by that),
> neccessitating some modification of their files to avoid that, cheifly
> the installation routines.  You may argue that an install script is not
> binary, others would argue its all binary.

I don't see the problem.  Even if one may try to make the argument that the
install script is binary (rather silly) the license does *not* require that
you use nVidia's install script.

Nothing stops the distributor from taking the tarball from nVidia, unpacking
it and developing their own install script.