fedora as a gateway / server

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 30 13:28:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 17:23 -0400,
Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I need a little guidance, not just a set of 'do this' instructions.
> Although, I won't toss those!  :)
>
> I have built a small network at home for the family using five windows
> boxes and one Linux box.  Currently, everything plugs into a DSL Modem
> for Internet connectivity.
>
> I would like to change this to have a Linux box ( Pentium II )
> residential serve as a gateway to provide firewall and proxy services.
> I suppose that it will also need to behave as a DHCP server?  Will it
> need a second NIC installed that will attach to a hub for the other
> boxes?  Is Fedora too big an OS for this?  Something smaller, Ubuntu?
>
> In addition, it would be nice to have another Linux box ( Pentium III )
> acting as a web/db/file server.  I plan to use Apache and Oracle for
> this.  Is Samba still what I should use to store Windows files?  Is
> there a mature IIS 6 'clone' or drop in replacement out there?  I
> haven't looked for this yet, so, don't yell.
>
> Any thoughts and/or suggestions before I go off to RTFM?
>
> thanks,
> Michael
Well you need a pessimist in the group. As someone else said your DSL
modem/router already has firewall protection built in which is easier to
configure that fooling around with another machine.

I am suspicious , however, about your having a web server on your LAN if
you mean to serve the rest of the world. My mythology is that DSL ISPs
don't like to have web service clogging up their DSL lines. And they
arrange the DSL speeds to make that less viable.

Now having a web server to service your LAN internally is fine. I have
one of those and it works fine.

Death before dishonor. But neither before breakfast.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net