New Mouse Install sans system-config-mouse

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 31 20:54:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 08:41 -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
>  >
> > Tim:
> > Linux.  USB mice
> >

> > Aaron Konstam:
> > > That is interesting since I have been using PS/2 mice for 15 years
> > > with linux without a problem.
> >
> > Lucky you, there's been quite a few people post about mice that run
> > about the screen, randomly.  Also, randomly clicking on things.
> >
> > Several different motherboards, several different mice, same problem.
> >
> > >  Have you configured xorg.conf properly.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> The problem often occurs when going through a KVM.  If I plug my
> new mouse directly into the box, it works.  I went to run level 3
> and ran "Xorg -configure" and it built a new xorg.conf file in
> /root/xorg.conf.new.  The FC6 machine set the mouse protocol to
> "Auto" in the generated config.  When I hooked the mouse back up
> to the KVM, it went back to running around randomly and clicking
> on things.  I have used the KVM successfully for several iterations
> of Fedora with my old 3 button PS2 mouse.
>
> The nice thing about the old system-config-mouse was that it gave
> you a list of mice from which you could pick a best match.  I have
> not stumbled across this list elsewhere.  I am currently loading FC4 on
> test machine and will see what kind of mouse configuration it
> comes up with for the new mouse.  I will then try copying that
> to my FC6 machine and see what happens.
>
> Bob S
Well I confused the issue by posting the FC4 xorg.conf in answer to a
previous question like this. But two further comments are interesting:

I have used a PS/2 mouse on a system with 7 computers and one mouse
through a KVM and it worked well.

Second, FC6 has a different attitude towards mice. There is no mouse
configuration clause in my xorg.conf on my FC6 machine with a PS/2 mouse
so I don't know whether FC4 information will be useful on FC6.

Although , our colleague Tim says this problem is rampant I have never
experienced or heard of it before. But is it exists I am sure it is a
hardware problem.
Aaron Konstam tel: (210) 656-0355 akonstam at sbcglobal.net