send e-mail without use sendmail

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 1 03:02:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:54:56 +0800
Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> It is call "fault tolerance".  In general, sending to a single IP address is
> has a single point of failure.  If that system is down...email doesn't move.

I realize that you can have many mailservers cascading in order of availability
by specifying multiple IP addresses in your MX records.  However, a lot of
mailservers have only one IP address specified in their MX record with no
failover listed. It's part of the relevant RFP that the sending system is
supposed to retry on a failure anyway, so if the system comes back up within X
number of days the message is still delivered.

> Sending to IP addresses doesn't scale and isn't manageable.

Obviously, it doesn't scale that way, but still -- it's legal to have a single
IP address specified in your MX record and that comes to the same thing, pretty
much.

I still don't see the difference.