all x86_64 mirrors corrupted tonight?

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Thu Nov 1 14:15:19 UTC 2007

to, 2007-11-01 kello 19:57 +1030, Tim kirjoitti:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 09:46 +0200, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > I read there has been controversy about XML but I didn't know (and
> > still don't) the details.
>
> For the gory details on what is XML, visit the W3C website at
> <http://www.w3.org/>.  For Microsofts dirtying of the waters, you'd have
> to Google on that.
>
> In a nutshell, XML is being used (amongst its other uses) as a data
> format for some infamous office software.  Of course, they're not going
> to use it properly.  So rather than join the bandwagon of using an open
> format, they're going to try and dominate with their own version.
>
> /me mutters something about leopards and spots, without referring to
> Apple's leopard.

I know what you mean, Tim. Take *their very own* "Microsoft protocol",
TCP/IP, for example.
> > On another note, how hard can it be to check checksums before putting
> > files on mirrors? It seems like a terrible waste of bandwidth to let
> > hundreds, maybe thousands of users try one mirror after another only
> > to fail updating at the end...
>
> There's something strange about how it works.  If it were me, I'd be
> pushing the files to a server (or getting a server to pull them in),
> then updating the list of what's available.  And arranging it to be done
> on some sort of time scale so that a service wasn't in an invalid state
> for anything other than a few minutes.

Yes, and this brings along another question: is there any mechanism to
let the update packagers know there is a problem - other than posting
about it on fedora-list? As far as I know, corrupt metadata files were
there on all mirrors for at least a day and a half.

Regards

Antti