Random thoughts. (Was Stuff)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Nov 3 15:27:46 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>   # service smb
>>   Usage: /etc/init.d/smb {start|stop|restart|reload|status|condrestart}
>>
>> rday
>>
>> p.s.  i am a little annoyed that the usage message doesn't reflect how
>> you invoked that feature, instead referring to "/etc/init.d/smb".
>> that's bound to confuse a few people who will have no idea what it's
>> referring to.
>>

> I guess they figure anyone that is accessing the scripts from the
> command line should be able to figure it out. After all, running
> "/etc/init.d/smb status" is just a valid as "service smb status".
> But if they can not figure out that
> {start|stop|restart|reload|status|condrestart} means pick one of the
> commands listed, they should not be trying to manage services from
> the command line. (Should they be trying to configure services at all?)
>
> Now, most of the commands are easy to understand, but I bet the
> condrestart option will confuse some people. (Do a restart only if
> the service is already running.)
>
> There is one more command that only works when using service to
> access the script. If you run "service <name> --full-restart", it is
> the same as running "service <name> stop" followed by "service
>
> Mikkel

    Remember when you would print what was in a file in a terminal
window with lpr? It used to work fine but has not been good of late. But
that is how I recall the other little useful things. LPQ is used to see
what jobs are doing with the printer. And then LPRM can be used if you
have something that is waiting to be printed that you don't want to print.

     LPQ and LPRM both work fine in F7

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User