update /etc/hosts after ifup-ppp

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 4 14:51:45 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:
> Is there an easy way to update /etc/hosts after my XDSL connection comes
> up? I want to have the name I have with ez-ipupdate and the IP address
> that is assigned to my computer also in /etc/hosts.

If you want this to happen every time you bring up the PPP
connection, you could create a /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script to edit
/etc/hosts. I don't remember the order that things are passed to the
script, but one of them is the IP address. A quick, cheap, and dirty
way would be to add the hostname/IP address to the end of the  file
when using something like: (replacing <your hostname> with yours.)

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to add <your hostname> to /etc/hosts.
#
echo <your host name> $4 >> /etc/hosts

You would then need a /etc/ppp/ip-down.local to remove it again.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to remove <your hostname> from /etc/hosts.
#
sed -i -e "/<your hostname>/d" /etc/hosts

A somewhat better /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script would be:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to add <your hostname> to /etc/hosts.
#
sed -i -e "/<your hostname>/d" /etc/hosts
echo <your host name> $4 >> /etc/hosts

Now, these scripts have not been tested, and I may have the
parameter number wrong. I am still working on my first cup of
coffee. You may want to run "man pppd" and scroll way down to the
section on scripts.

Mikkel