Iptables port 5353 -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 4 18:55:28 UTC 2007

Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 10:42:26AM -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>  Should I open this port?  would it benefit the Windows and Mac users on my
>>  LAN?
>>

> Only if you want to share services that use it (iTunes or rhythmbox
> music share, some other stuff).

I keep iTunes blocked in the router along with a number of others,
bittorrent, etc., I do unblock iTunes long enough for the kids to
download some music and then kill it again.

>> If so will it do that without increasing traffic to and from my ISP?
>>

> mDNS and bonjour/rendevouz work only in your LAN, they don't go to/from the
> internet. (non-routable local multicast address)

Apparently, if I understand what you are saying, it would not benefit
the Windows computer users when surfing, reading news, and such so I
will leave port 5353 closed then.

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin