What are these root directories for?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 4 21:13:52 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 02:08:26PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:
>>> On my Fedora 7 system I have the following root directories which seem
>>> to have no purpose.  As I always wanting to remove distracting
>>> 'clutter' I'd like to remove them if it's safe to do so but I don't
>>> want to break anything.  They are:-
>>>
>>>     /misc
>>>     /net
>>>
>> They are used by automount, but it does not sounds like you are
>> using automount.
>>
> OK, thanks.

However, probably you could:-:)

In a Linux network, enabling /net is very convenient for sharing NFS
exports.

/misc is very handy for PnP devices where distributors have broken PnP
by imbedding it in the desktop. I often operate by the commandline,
popups on the desktop and desktop icons are, at best, useless.

Even if you decide to not use autofs, I suggest you don't remove
standard parts such as those two directories, and especially /initrd,
should you ever find one;-)

--

Cheers
John