Two FC7 questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 4 23:31:06 UTC 2007

I was just out on a 3000 mile run (my oldest daughter is dying of cancer,
maybe a week left), taking my HP DV5120us lappy with me, which has a bcm4318
radio in it.

Partway through the trip, while hooked to a cat5 cable I ran yumex and let it
update the box, which included the kernels, latest is now a 2.6.23-1 variant,
but it removed the kernels that I had been running ndiswrapper with
flawlessly.

1. I see that b43 or sdd seem to be the default modules for that radio now,
but I spent several hours in motels trying to connect with WEPless motel
setups without getting a valid dhclient setup environment, so when I got
home, there were about 3500 msgs awaiting me on this box.

Obviously there are some new tools but I don't see manpages for them, so whats
the procedure to set this up from scratch?  Include the use of the new crypto
modules too as some motels were using TIPK and WPA2.

2. Running roadnav while on the road, the screen blanker drove me nuts, and
this is something that I tried to turn off but found I had to park the mouse
where it got constantly jiggled in order to keep it alive more than 10
minutes, all this while running on a lighter plugin supply which makes it
think its on AC power.

Having to lean over the console in my truck to where the lappy was sitting in
the shotgun seat to find and tap the spacebar was both an irritation, and
multiplied the in-advertant lane wobbles that cause accidents by at least an
order.  At the ripe old age of 73, I don't need that a bit.

So whats the cure for the blanker caused blue smoke from my ears?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)