Two FC7 questions

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 5 01:02:56 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> It should not remove the running kernel!
>
> I don't recall the exact version I was booted to at the time, but on the next
> bootup I only had 2 kernels left as choice, whereas smart had been told to
> leave the kernels alone, yumex apparently had been given no such
> instructions, so it merrily nuked the one that was running, /lib/module
> entries and all.

Yum defaults to having 2 kernels. It will save the kernel you are
currently using, and install the new one. You can change this to
save more, or to never remove an old kernel.

> Smart didn't have any livna repos defined, and wouldn't handle some sort of an
> mplayer update because of that, so I used yumex.  Now smart is crashing too.
>
>> I am guessing that you
>> booted a kernel that was not using ndiswrapper when doing the
>> update.
>
> No, its init was part of my rc.local.

It does not need to be loaded - just have a working ndiswrapper for
the kernel you booted with.

>>> So whats the cure for the blanker caused blue smoke from my ears?
>> One thing that may work is to run something like "xset dpms off" in
>> an xterm. As long as nothing else overrides it, your screen will not
>> blank. I am assuming that you already have the screen saver turned off.
>
> I had it set in the kde prefs for 2 hours.
>
>> We can not have you weaving all over the road! It is bad enough that
>> you are looking over at the laptop when driving. (I find that a
>> small 12V monitor like they use for backup cameras mounted where you
>> can glance at it without taking your eyes off the road work well. I
>> thought about the review mirror replacement displays, but the sun
>> visor ones would be easier to read. What I really want is a heads-up
>> display for the motor home.
>
> Its generally a quick glance to get the speed, which roadnav displays along
> the bottom of the screen in a font I can read in about 1 second flat.
> Anything else I generally have to pull over to do because the mouse pointer
> is so damned tiny, and my bluetooth mouse doesn't run at less than 500 mph.
> The whole screen is about a 1.5x2.5" area on the pad, and thats with the
> mouse speed set at 1.  A heads up display would be nice, but there is way too
> much detail on the roadnav screen for anything smaller than a 22" monitor, so
> the speed reading is about all that is usefull when in motion.  And it bugs
> me that you can't set north to up, it redraws the map so the direction your
> moving is up, totally scrambling the view IMO.  But that's another bitch that
> may get fixed by recompiling it from src after a few tweaks.  This was my
> first foray into using it on the road, and the author hasn't answered the
> email I sent so I guess its officially abandoned.  Oh, and don't ask it for
> directions, which it does a nice job of, but it never gives back the cpu and
> you have to quit it and reboot to recover.  That may take 10 minutes just to
> quit, but the machine is still stuck at 100%.

I have used roadnav with a smaller display when when using a GPS,
having "map tracks GPS" set. But you have to have the display zoomed
correctly, and the detail set right. Don't clutter it up with things
like aerial photos and such. I also like to have GPS history turned on.

As far as the rotating map, open up  Tools --> Preferences --> GPS
and uncheck the Rotate Map to Match Heading box. You may also want
to check the Zoom Based on Road Type and Keep GPS Centered boxes.

The display size needed kind of depends on where you are driving.
Driving in a city takes a larger display then driving on freeways in
the country. I like to go over the route before hand, and then have
just the map on a small display when driving. But I like having a
full display and someone else to read it and give me the information
I need even better.

Mikkel