Cannot login after yum update

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Nov 5 01:26:56 UTC 2007

Stephen Pusey writes:

> I am not sure if this is the right forum - but would appreciate help.  I
> did a yum update on November 1st using a development  Fedora 8.  After
> this I rebooted the machine (a leased server) and could not ssh as root.
> I could access the site via webmin and by "re-enabling" the users I could
> then start ssh and other services.  I then rebooted and found that I could
> not login with either ssh or with webmin.  I currently have the server
> mounted through a gentoo CD.  However, I am stumped.  I think the issue
> may be with pamd - but everything looks fine.  I also suspect xinetd.
> Looking at the messages logs I see a EXT-fs check was forced on the disk
> on a reboot.

That indicates that the disk was corrupted. You're boned.

There's no real way to determine what ended up being broken, without doing a
more complete, detailed analysis. There could be any number of hundreds of
differents reasons why your system is screwed up.

The easiest thing to do is to just reinstall.