openldap nightmare

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 5 21:19:46 UTC 2007

I've spent today trying to get openldap running under Fedora 7.
The documentation is unbelievably bad -
even worse than sendmail, the previous winner.
It is almost as incomprehensible as my VHS manual in Japanese.

As far as I can see, openldap people speak a language
unknown to the rest of humanity.
Where normal people say www.myhost.com,
they say "dc=www,dc=myhost,dc=com".

Anyway, I've got to the stage where I'm trying to install
an address book with ldapadd with
[root at alfred tim]#
ldapadd -x -D 'cn=Manager,dc=alfred,dc=gayleard,dc=com' -W -f /etc/openldap/addressbook.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
and I get the error
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

which I find slightly baffling since ldapsearch seems to work ok:

[root at alfred tim]# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)'
namingContexts
# extended LDIF
# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

So what sort of credentials do they want?
Would it be cheating if they dropped a hint?