downloading fc7 updates manually?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 5 23:31:30 UTC 2007

Dave Burns wrote:
> This would not help me, because the machine that has access to the net
> and the yum repos is not the machine that is out of date. I don't want
> to expose the out-of-date machine to the net until it has been updated
> (feeling paranoid). I guess I should dredge around on the yum site to
> figure out how to diff the fc7 original rpms and the current rpms.
> Dave

It would help. The machine needing the updates needs a list of what's
available (new metadata) to produce a list of what it needs.

You can actually download on any machine, one running FreeBSD, OS X or
even Windows.

fwiw the out-of-date machine is at no risk of attack by worm if it does
not accept any connexions to any services: if you're not running your
web server (for example), body can attack it.

If you can't stop some service, then configure it to not listen on a
public address and/or configure a firewall to block it.

Preventing an attack by "invited" content - typically email and web
access - is up to the clown at the keyboard. If you don't read email,
and confine your web access to downloading and applying the updates, the
risks are pretty tiny. If _I_ can't trust my IAP and the suppliers (and
their mirrors) of my software, I best get off the 'net.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait