[OT] Digital camara

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 6 23:23:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 11:40 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> For large(r) enlargements, a (large) low-noise sensor is more
> important than more pixels, according to posts on another list I'm on.
> See <http://db.tidbits.com/article/7860>.

That can hold true, even for non-enlargement.  Diverging from my
interest in photography to my work in video production, I've never liked
the shrinking of the image sensor.  When things went down from 2/3 inch,
to 1/2 inch, to 1/3 inch, we noticed increases in noise (physics is
involved, and that article does describe it quite well and quickly),
needing more light on the subject, reduction in image quality thanks to
the image sensors simply not being miniaturised very well (they
couldn't, or wouldn't, build them as well as they managed to build the
larger ones), and the optics of smaller lenses are generally not as good
as larger lenses (small aberrations in a small lens are proportionally a
larger amount of that whole lens, so give worse distortions than a
physically similar small aberration in a larger lens).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.