Kernel snapshots and kernel versions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 7 02:09:32 UTC 2007

Res wrote:

>> See the other objectives on why programs may have patches. Also refer
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream for some
>> exceptions.
>
> I dont need to go read url's, the fact remains they are not entirely
> like upstream, and i doubt a patch to make it work on fedora thats not
> needed to work on others will always be incorporated into the upstream
> software, maybe some might, but most do not, and the stripping etc, so
> you cant sit there and say the "distro as a whole", its simply not true
> because it can not happen as you point out there are policy dictated
> exceptions.

In my original reply in which I stated that staying close with upstream
is a goal, I also pointed out the above link which states the
exceptions. If you don't want to read them, refrain from accusing people
of lying.

>> Multimedia programs usually have proprietary or patent encumbered
>> codecs are
>
> snip, yes yes ive heard the bullshit all too often, dont worry tho,
> ubuntu has been running on test bed for a couple weeks and it leaves
> fedora for dead, i can see why its uptake is so popular, it takes 3
> clicks to enable the "restricted packages" and voila!

If you want proprietary software by default, Fedora isn't suitable for
you. Good luck in using something that meets your needs. Choice is great.

Rahul