running existing Fedora install in virtualizer

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Nov 7 21:37:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 13:20 -0800, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to run older Fedora installation in KVM [in Fedora 8]?
> I currently have FC6 installed and want to do a fresh install of F8 on a
> separate partition. Will KVM (or any other virtualization software)
> allow me to use my old FC6 without rebooting?

The answer is "yes" if you mean Xen or other virtualization system.
Note that if your FC6 kernel is not xenified, you need to run it as a
fully virtualized DomU, not a paravirtualized DomU, and that'll require
a CPU that supports full virtualization (look for the "svm" [AMD] or
"vt" [Intel] flags in the output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo").

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -