Problems with F7 kernels

Tony Crouch acrouch2 at une.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 07:57:47 UTC 2007

Hi All,
Over the past couple of days I have been updating my F7 machine and have
installed both the two latest kernels which have been released. Both of
these have caused my machine to fail to boot successfully.

On choosing the appropriate kernel my machine "hangs" at the 'starting
udev' section. The laptop's fans spin in ultra-high gear and regardless
of how long I leave the machine, it never gets past this section.

The latest kernel on which the laptop fails to boot is:

kernel-2.6.23.1-21.fc7

I also tried the immediate kernel before this one (sorry cannot think of
the id number), but it was over-written by the 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 kernel.

The last known kernel which works fine (there may have been others
slightly more recent, but due to failing to update may never have been
installed) is:

2.6.22.9-91.fc7

I was wondering if anyone might be able to let me know what file /
commands outputs would be required in order to resolve this problem get
my machine using the latest kernels.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch