Fedora 8

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:38:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 23:38 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 12:54 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Why don't you just have ONE boot partition?
> > Surely that is the norm if one is running different systems.
>
> I seem to recall someone saying that updating the kernel on one OS could
> mess around with the other files in /boot, knobbling another OS, when
> they all had their kernels in /boot.

It doesn't.
Anaconda (both in RHEL and Fedora) does clubber the existing grub.conf
during the installation.

But if you keep a copy of the previous grub.conf and merge with the
newly installed on, it should work just fine.

Updates only add/remove exact kernel versions and files (and the default
option). They do not modify other entries.

- Gilboa