stupid bash tricks (how to loop on the command line)

Brian Millett bmillett at
Thu Nov 8 18:40:34 UTC 2007

aragonx at escribío:
> Okay, I saw a neat trick at work the other day.  A coworker somehow got
> the shell to do looping without creating a file.  I believe he was using
> csh to do so and I was wondering if I could do the same thing in bash.
> Basically I would like to be able to do a while loop to execute a df
> command.
> Any ideas?

how about "watch" which repeats the command every 2 secs?

or if you want to do it for a few times

for f in $(seq 1 100); do df; done

Brian Millett - [ Garibaldi, "The Gathering"]
"Commander, this little breach of security isn't going to affect my
 Christmas bonus, is it?"