Compatible Winmodems?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Nov 8 22:11:44 UTC 2007

Brian wrote:
> I'd like a cheap internal modem to be used for inbound and outbound
> faxing. (<$15) I suspect my only route is a Winmodem for that price.
>
> I've searched a few sites but haven't had luck correlating modem to
> chipset used.
>
> Can anyone point me to a compatible Winmodem for use under FC7?

Unless you're seriously into hassle, buy an external serial modem,
PCMCIA modem, USB modem, or similar. Google is your friend, saw used on
ebay for <$10, works POTS or cellular according to the spec. Bought one
at a computer show for <$10 as well, and lots of old serial modems around.

I assume this is just for emergencies rather than an attempt to see how
long a download of FC8 would take on dialup...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>