Fedora 8 x86_64: "You have specified an install method which isn't supported by anaconda"

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Nov 9 09:40:30 UTC 2007

I'm trying to upgrade my 64 bit F7 install on a Core 2 Duo notebook.

>From power-up I put the F8 x86_64 DVD in the drive, the bootloader appears
and I select "Install or upgrade an existing system".  The kernel boots,
asks me if I want to verify the installation media.  After that, X starts
up and I immediately get a box pop up which says "You have specified an
install method which isn't supported by anaconda".

Pressing the Ok button just results in the system shutting down.

I am now upgrading from text mode, which seems to be working.  A quick
scan of the mailing list seems to suggest no one else has seen this
problem, but I can't think why it would just affect me since the error
message appears as soon as anaconda starts, before it asks for the user
to make any choices.

  - Steve