Gripes, gripes: F8 Live, F8 DVD, i6000

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Nov 9 16:52:13 UTC 2007

> Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > Installing F8 on a Dell i6000 laptop:
> >
> > 1) Using the DVD:
> >
> >    The install comes no further than 'running /sbin/loader'
> >    and then stops. Nothing happens anymore.
> >    This is a curious regression from F8 test 3 where I had no
> >    such problems!
> >
> >    Maybe this can be solved using one or other kernel parameter
> >    but then you have to go and search the internet for a list
> >    or have the kernel documentation at hand.
> >    A complete list with comments should be available in a README
> >    included on the DVD and a reference included in the Release Notes.
>
> See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F8Common and
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
>
> > 2) Using the Live CD:
> >
> >    Here we have a really nasty omission in the Release Notes:
> >
> >    The install from the Live CD seems to have changed.
> >    You no longer get the second stage 'postinstall configuration'.
>
> You mean firstboot doesn't run? If so, that is not by design and you
> should be filing a bug report  (I saw some discussions on firstboot not
> running if the network connected failed but haven't seen any bug reports
> filed yet) along with the rest of the gripes mentioned. Thanks.

Firstboot sort of ran for me from a DVD install in text mode (is anyone
going to ever fix the sync issues for a Planar PE1900?  I bugzilla'd
it months ago), but firstboot did NOT offer to set up a user.  Come to
think of it, it didn't under F8T3, either.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -