Problem booting from PXE/kickstart on FC7

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Nov 9 17:37:51 UTC 2007

Gary Schlachter wrote:
>    I am trying to use PXE/kickstart to load FC7 on an appliance.  My
> initrd.img and vmlinuz are from FC7 and are loading but my console
> output looks like the following:

<big snip />

> Switching to new root and running init.
> umounting old /dev
> umounting old /proc
> umounting old /sys
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
> Booting has failed.
> Kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
>
> Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Gary,

I'll take a stab at it.

I nfs install f7 using pxeboot and kickstart.  I seem to remember
struggling with something similar.  It turned out that in the pxeboot
stanza I had broken the APPEND line using "\".  Big no-no.  The "\" is
for readability.  The APPEND line and all its options must be on a
single line.  Once I'd done that it worked correctly.

If that doesn't solve the problem would you post your pxeboot stanza?
Might be a clue there.

hth,
Mike Wright :m)