Dell D610 F8 boot message

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 20:44:59 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 10:23 AM, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:
> After needing the workaround in
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-list&m=119462933124885&w=2
>
> I have got the install to complete, including firstboot.
>
> However during the subsequent boot I see on the screen and in
> /var/log/messages the entries
> Nov  9 17:37:27 localhost kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason a1 on C
> PU 0.
> Nov  9 17:37:27 localhost kernel: You have some hardware problem, likely on the
> PCI bus.
> Nov  9 17:37:27 localhost kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
>
> When I get to the completed f8 running system then I will add to the
> smolt entry suggested by Rahul in the above link/thread.
>
> In the meantime does anyone know what the likely cause of the kernel
> message above is?
> Also whether this is cause for concern, and what workaround is possible?
>
> The workaround needed to get the install to run was not added to the
> grub entries by default - should it be?
>
> Also I was not asked during firstboot to check sound - and it seems no
> sound is working at present. Has anyone else had this?
>
> --
>
> mike cohler
>
> --

Hi Mike Cohler!

When I have problems such as you mention above (specific error
messages) I tend to Google the message, in whole (except the time) and
in part.  Doing so a bit for you I would say that if I were you I
would continue this with information about what is on the PCI bus
(lspci), which drivers drive them (lsmod) and how CMOS is set up to
use the interrupts and shared memory areas.

If you have a live CD which runs the system without the error messages
note the setup, epically the use of which drivers and modules.

It may be as easy as changing out a driver or setting a CMOS switch.

Good Hunting!

Tod