ACPI Not Working on F8

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:11:54 UTC 2007

I'm running the old F7 kernel kernel-2.6.22.9-91.fc7 on F8 for reasons
that I've explained in another mail. This (as you might expect) is
causing problems.

I noticed that the battery indication monitor had vanished from the
panel. I went to add it back, but I got the error message

  Can't access ACPI events in /var/run/acpid.socket! Make sure the
ACPI subsystem is working and the acpid
  daemon is running.

And, obviously, the battery indicator isn't working. This is a bit of
a problem as that's what I use to suspend the laptop.

Am I completely wasting my time hoping that the old kernel will work
here? Has the ACPI interface changed between F7 and F8?

If it helps, the laptop is a Philips Freevents X5q (which is actually
a rebadged Twinhead 12D).

Thanks,

Dave...