f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 11 20:17:11 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> David Boles wrote:

> Ah. So you think that Network Manager is the problem? If I understand it
> correctly they, Fedora developers, are working on a replacement for
> Network Manager.

Network manager is the _new_ way. As Timothy says, its implementation
seems sadly awry.

It should be good, if done properly, for laptop users in particular.
People with their computers tied to their desk don't need to change
their network settings very often, but people with laptops may need to
connect to several different networks (or access points) in a day.

Futzing around with the old network configuration tools isn't an option,
particularly (unless I misremember) the text-mode one doesn't do
wireless at all

For people who only ever use a gui, who only want wireless when they're
logged in, and who only want wireless or wire working at any moment, nm
is close to doing a good job.

Outside that set of people, it seems pretty hopeless.

Since I'm outside that set of people, I'm concerned for me personally.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait