F8 - upgrading impossible

Antonio antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:30:15 UTC 2007

2007/11/11, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie>:
> Marcel Janssen wrote:
>
> > If re-installing is the only option than I'll stay with F7.
>
> I haven't read all this thread,
> but the title is certainly misleading.
> I upgraded from F7 to F8 with only one problem (see below),
> and the F8 system seems to be working perfectly.
>
> I followed what may be an unusual route;
> I transferred the KDE Live CD to a USB stick,
> and copied the DVD ISO to the hard disk.
> (I only have a DVD reader on 2 out of 6 machines,
> so it would hardly have been worth while burning the DVD.)
>
> On booting from the USB stick I was asked
> if I wanted to install or upgrade, and I chose upgrade.
> The process was remarkably fast, with about 900 packages
> updated in about 40 minutes (on a fairly old AMD64 machine).
>
> The one problem was that my old grub.conf was deleted,
> and the new one that was written had root (hd1,2)
> instead of (hd0,2) - presumably because
> during the upgrade the USB stick became hd0.
>
> However, it does seem to me a bug that there was no choice,
> as far as I could see, to specify that
> I wanted to keep the old grub root.
> Surely this should be the default when upgrading, anyway?
>
> Also I wasn't given the option, as I was with FC6 to F7,
> to update my old grub.conf .
> It seemed the upgrade deleted this whatever I said.
>
> This wasn't too great a problem,
> as I entered grub interactively and gave the correct root,
> and then edited grub.conf .
> (If this hadn't worked I would have booted with Knoppix
> and done the same.)
>

> --

Tim,

I think that your route is unusual, and title of thread is not
misleading, as most of us put the DVD in the machine and they would
like to have their system upgraded.
I had to re-install a server as it must be on on monday, of course I
would lie if I say that I am happy to waste my Sunday as upgraded from
DVD didn't work and upgrading by yum is not working.....
I am happy with another machine as I installed test releases and it
was upgraded automatically to F8 - I guess that yum or package updater
has exactly the same problem, but it sleeping in my bag.. :-)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag